The Mad Bomber has been identified by Law enforcement officials as 24-year-old Mark Anthony Conditt, who lived with two roommates in a city suburb.
Pflugerville Mayor Victor Gonzales said Conditt lived in his city, about 17 miles northeast of the capital and near where a package bomb killed a 39-year-old man March 2 — the first of four bombs.
Austin, Texas can breathe easy again. The suspect in the spate of bombings is dead, Austin police say. Police Chief Brian Manley told reporters early Wednesday the 24-year-old white male detonated a device in his vehicle after being pursued by police early Wednesday morning.
Manley said authorities don’t know why the man engaged in the bombings. He said the suspect’s identify wouldn’t be released until the medical examiner confirmed it and his next of kin are notified.
Austin Police tracked suspect to Round Rock, TX Red Roof Inn
Tips on the suspect had been pouring in over the last 24 to 36 hours, according to Manley. Once investigators were satisfied they’d determined who the bomber was, surveillance teams began looking for him and spotted a vehicle he was known to be driving at a hotel in the Austin suburb of Round Rock.
While police and federal agents were in position around the hotel, the suspect started driving away. Law enforcement followed.
The vehicle then stopped in a ditch on the side of a road.
At that point, Manley continued, as an Austin police SWAT team closed in, the suspect fired at them, then detonated a device in vehicle. One SWAT team member was knocked back from the blast as he approached the vehicle and suffered minor injuries, Manley said.
A SWAT officer, an 11-year veteran of the APD, fired on the suspect. The officer who fired the shot was placed on administrative leave while the department looks into the shooting, reports WCTV.
Manley says the incident that led to the suspect’s death will be investigated by Austin Police and the Texas Rangers.
Authorities think the suspect was behind all the bombings in Austin this month but FBI agent Chris Combs, head of the bureaus San Antonio office, says, “We are concerned that there may be other packages that are still out there.” People in Austin are being urged to remain vigilant, since it’s not known if any other devices were planted.
It wasn’t clear whether the suspect intended to plant the device he used to kill himself, authorities added.
President Trump tweeted about the developments:
THIS is when you tweet.
When the murderer is apprehended or killed. NOT while they are wreaking havoc in the community.
"Well done" law enforcement. Thank you.#MAGA #QAnon #TRUMP #WeThePeople #TheGreatAwakening #AustinBombing #Austin #AustinPolice #FBI
— T.W. Haines (@T_W_Haines) March 21, 2018
The five connected explosions began on March 2nd and killed two people and injured six others. Earlier, EYE said it had obtained photos of the person investigators believe dropped off two suspicious packages Sunday. Investigators said he was a person of interest and that the two packages were connected to the string of explosions in the Texas capital.
Mr Americana, Overpasses News Desk
March 21st, 2018