A federal judge on Friday ordered a total restart of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, in a hit to the Trump administration.
The administration last year announced its plan to phase out the program, which provides a level of amnesty to certain illegal aliens, many of whom came to the U.S. as children.
The order is not set to kick in right away, according to Politico, which notes that the government has until Aug. 23 to file a motion to appeal the ruling by U.S. District Judge John Bates.
“The court has already once given DHS the opportunity to remedy these deficiencies — either by providing a coherent explanation of its legal opinion or by reissuing its decision for bona fide policy reasons that would preclude judicial review,” said Bates, “So it will not do so again.”
Bates in April became the third federal judge to order the administration to restart renewals for illegal aliens previously approved for DACA.
He also threatened to vacate the memo ending DACA — and thereby restore the program in full — if Trump officials could not present an adequate reason for ending it.
In a 25-page opinion Friday, Bates, an appointee of former President George W. Bush, rejected the administration’s argument that the original decision to end DACA remained sound.
Specifically, he criticized a June memo issued by Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen. In the memo, Nielsen said she stood by the legal rationale laid out in a Sept. 5 directive from then-acting Secretary Elaine Duke.
Bates said the Nielsen memo, like Duke’s before it, “offers nothing even remotely approaching a considered legal assessment that this court could subject to judicial review.”
More than 700,000 illegal aliens are enrolled in the DACA program, according to the latest statistics.
If Friday’s ruling goes into effect later this month, the administration will be required to accept new applications from people who meet DACA’s eligibility requirements.
Meanwhile, “Dreamers” are proving to be a complete nightmare for America.
Violent terrorist organization MS-13 set its sights on a DC-area middle school, with district officials warning parents, teachers, and students of a “ticking time bomb” just outside of the nation’s capital.
Authorities at William Wirt Middle School in Riverdale, Maryland are not taking the threat lightly as the gang expands and violence begins to spread throughout the school.
Gang-related fights are now a near-daily occurrence at Wirt, where a small group of suspected MS-13 members at the overwhelmingly Hispanic school throw gang signs, sell drugs, draw gang graffiti and aggressively recruit students recently arrived from Central America, according to more than two dozen teachers, parents and students.
Most of those interviewed asked not to be identified for fear of losing their jobs or being targeted by MS-13.
“Teachers feel threatened but aren’t backed up. Students feel threatened but aren’t protected,” one teacher told the Post. “The school is a ticking time bomb.”
The rise in violence comes as President Trump pledges to crackdown on the gang, calling their violent members “animals” and vowing to “get them out” of the country as soon as possible.
Although administrators deny Wirt has a gang problem, the situation inside the aging, overcrowded building has left some teachers so afraid that they refuse to be alone with their students. Many said they had repeatedly reported incidents involving suspected gang members to administrators, only to be ignored — claims supported by documents obtained by The Washington Post.
One educator was stunned when, at the beginning of the school year, a handful of students continually shouted obscenities and threw objects around the classroom. The educator soon noticed the same students scrawling “MS-13” on papers, desks and their skin. They bullied Spanish-speaking classmates and sexually harassed the girls in class. Several students openly counted cash, allegedly money earned from selling marijuana in Wirt’s bathrooms, transactions that a student and several parents also described to The Post.
But administrators brushed aside complaints, the educator said, and the behavior spread to other students.
Thirty-two students have been suspended this year for fighting and police have been called to the school 74 times as of May 1st. That may sound like a serious reaction from authorities but one teacher tells the Post the actual number of fights are now up to 2-3 per day. The suspensions and police intervention are barely making a dent in the violence.
All of this is reportedly happening because of a handful of kids, maybe a little over a dozen have joined the gang. It’s part of a resurgence that is happening in cities around the country where unaccompanied minors who came to the border have been resettled. The Post reports up to 5,000 minors have been settled in Maryland near this middle school. Most of those kids are involved in gangs, but chaos created by the handful who are is so bad that other students at the school have formed a kind of counter-gang to oppose MS-13. I don’t condone kids fighting, but if the administrators are going to look the other way it’s inevitable that kids are going to band together to protect themselves.
We’re basically seeing a prison movie play out in a suburban middle school. It’s a wonder no one at this school has been killed yet, but that could happen if authorities don’t step up and protect their students from this ruthless gang.
James E Windsor, Overpasses News Desk
August 10th, 2018