An Iowa family found dead in a vacation condo in Mexico died from inhaling toxic gas, but there was no sign of foul play or suicide, Mexican authorities said Saturday.
The type of gas hadn’t yet been determined, but “any violent act or suicide has been discounted,” the prosecutors’ office in the Caribbean coast state of Quintana Roo said.
The office said investigators “carried out a physical investigation of the gas connections in the room,” and the civil defense office of Tulum would issue a technical report on the findings.
Photos released by the office showed investigators in anti-contamination suits and firefighters with air tanks examining gas connections to a stove in the condo in Tulum.
PHOTOS: Inspection of gas installation of hotel room where Iowa family of 4 was found dead in Mexico, after autopsy finds they died of asphyxiation by inhaling toxic fumes. Pics via Quintana Roo State AG. #abc7ny pic.twitter.com/LiV6HXVWOp
— Darla Miles (@DarlaMiles7) March 24, 2018
A spokeswoman for the office of Iowa state Attorney General Tom Miller would not comment on whether the owner of the condo could face legal consequences in connection with the deaths, Reuters reported.
Iowa officials identified the family as Kevin Sharp, 41; his wife, Amy Sharp, 38, and their children Sterling, 12, and Adrianna, 7. They were from Creston, Iowa.
The family was reported missing by relatives in their hometown about a week after the family left for vacation. Creston police contacted the U.S. State Department, and the bodies were found during a welfare check at the condo in Tulum, on the Yucatan Peninsula.
The Quintana Roo prosecutors’ office said the family had been dead for between 36 and 48 hours by the time they were found Friday at the Tao condominium complex.
Mr Americana, Overpasses News Desk
March 26th, 2018