A registered sex offender on probation for possessing child porn has been arrested after allegedly sexually assaulting a 6-year-old boy in a bathroom at a California public library.
Riverside Police announced Monday that Juan Francisco Palacios, described as a 29-year-old transient, was taken into custody following the incident at the SPC Jesus S. Duran Eastside Public Library last week.
“As the child is going into the restroom, the suspect gets up from his seat and goes directly to there and 20 or 30 seconds is all it took for the suspect to commit that sexual assault,” the department’s public information officer, Ryan Railsback said.
Juan Francisco Palacios, a 29-year-old Riverside transient, was caught on camera watching the 6-year-old boy walk into the bathroom alone on July 18, according the Riverside Police Department.
Palacios allegedly followed inside and assaulted him.
The assailant quickly fled and ran through a shopping center toward University Avenue, police said.
The victim’s father, who was at the library with the two children when the crime occurred, alerted library staffers when he learned about the incident, officials added.
Officers came to the scene but were not able to find the assailant, whom detectives soon identified as Palacios, according to the Police Department.
At 3:36 p.m. on Sunday, police responded to the Riverside Public Library after receiving a call about a person who matched the suspect’s description, the agency said.
They found Palacios and arrested him on suspicion of sexual assault against a minor under 10 and probation violation for possession of child pornography, the Police Department said. He was required to register as a sex offender.
Anyone with information can contact Detective Daniel Mercadefe at 951-353-7120 or email@example.com, or Detective Stacie Ontko at 951-353-7121 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meanwhile, the homeless problem in California has reached ridiculous proportions.
Recently, a violent fight at a homeless camp in Hollywood was caught on camera. Residents say it happens all the time and they are fed up and fighting back.
As CBSLA’s reports, the video of the fight was recorded by a frustrated neighbor late at night. We’re told the two people going at it live or hang out in an encampment just outside of Poinsettia Park, near Hollywood.
The video is one of several taken by residents in the area. Last month there was another fight at the same encampment. Exasperated neighbors have called the city and LA City Councilman Paul Koretz’s office who represents the area but so far no action to remove the tents has happened.
Neighbors say they do not want to come off as insensitive to the problems of the homeless but they also say the encampment is not just a nuisance — it’s a safety issue.
“I’ve seen people in the streets yelling at cars. Kids playing. Running across the street. No one really wants to walk down the street,” said neighbor Brian Bickerstaff.
“It’s like that everywhere. Like anywhere it’s a big number of homeless people,” said neighbor Chris Fisher.
The encampment it appears to have gotten smaller. And earlier this month Councilman Koretz’s office issued a statement saying his office has taken a zero tolerance approach to crime at the location and is working with city departments and nonprofits to help the homeless here find another place to live.
So while there’s been some progress here it has not been enough for neighbors, who say the crime, trash and noise are nonstop.
“So if the community is supposed to feel supportive, it’s hard to be supportive if you don’t feel safe,” said Bickerstaff.
James E Windsor, Overpasses News Desk
July 26th, 2018